[Haskell-cafe] Why is there no "splitSeperator" function in Data.List

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Sun Feb 13 11:21:42 CET 2011

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011, Iustin Pop wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 11:21:37AM -0500, Gwern Branwen wrote:
>>
>> See http://hackage.haskell.org/package/split
>>
>> The reason it's not in Data.List is because there are a bazillion
>> different splits one might want (when I was pondering the issue before
>> Brent released it, I had collected something like 8 different proposed
>> splits), so no agreement could ever be reached.
>
> It is curious though that the Python community managed to agree on a
> single implementation and include that in the standard library… So it is
> possible :)

It was not the implementation, that was discussed in length, but it was
the question, what 'split' shall actually do.

If you are satisfied with a simple Haskell 98 implementation of a 'split'
operation you might like 'chop' in
   http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/utility-ht/0.0.5.1/doc/html/Data-List-HT.html