[Haskell-cafe] Proving correctness

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Sun Feb 13 11:06:05 CET 2011

On 2/12/11 11:41 AM, Tim Chevalier wrote:
> What's important is not just that
> Haskell has static typing, but that algebraic data types are a rich
> enough language to let you express your intent in data and not just in
> code. That helps you help the compiler help you.

ADTs are an amazing thing to have. They directly express the types we
usually think in, which liberates us to think about those types.

Conversely, in C we have to use structs, untagged unions, and pointers,
which makes us spend far too much time worrying about low-level
representation issues instead of being able to think about the types we
really care about (the lists, the nodes, graphs, trees,...) and worrying
about their high-level representation issues (does a list really capture
the shape of my data, or would it be better to use a tuple, a priority
queue,...?)

Similarly in most OO languages there's no way to define a class which
has a fixed non-zero number of subclasses, so it's hard to match the
clarity of ADTs' "no junk, no confusion". Instead, we waste time
defensively programming against the subclasses our evil users will come
up with. This is especially problematic when designing datastructures
that have to maintain invariants. And this often causes folks to move
program logic from the type realm into the executable realm; how often
have you seen methods which simulate dynamic dispatch by case analysis
on a state or flag field?

Static typing, type inference, and lambdas are all excellent things, but
I think the importance of ADTs is vastly underrated when comparing
functional languages (of the ML or Haskell tradition) to procedural
languages. Not only do they make life easier, but they also help with
proving correctness.

--
Live well,
~wren