[Haskell-cafe] Beginner: (Another) Binary Search Tree Question

htc2011 jakobusbenne at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 15:52:29 CET 2011

Hi all,

I just started learning Haskell but am having some trouble getting the
insertion into a binary search tree to
work and was hoping that somebody could advise me on a possible solution.
Thanks.
Given the data type definition of the tree to be:

Code:
  data Ord a => BST a = EmptyBST | Node ( BST a ) a ( BST a ) deriving
(Show,
   Eq)
And the insertion function to be:

Code:
 insert v EmptyBST = Node EmptyBST v EmptyBST
   insert v (Node b a c)
          | v<= a = Node a ( insert v b ) c
          | otherwise = Node a b ( insert v c )

GHCI keeps telling me that I 'cannot construct an infinite type':
' Occurs check: cannot construct the infinite type: a = BST (BST a)
Expected type: BST a -> BST (BST a) -> a
Inferred type: BST a -> BST (BST a) -> BST (BST a)
In the second argument of `Node', namely `(insert v b)'
In the expression: Node a (insert v b) c'
Upon adding the following signature:

Code:
   insert :: Ord a => a -> BST a -> BST a

I get: Occurs check: cannot construct the infinite type.

Sorry, but I'm quite lost. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Benjamin