[Haskell-cafe] Cabal && license combinations

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Fri Feb 11 07:14:34 CET 2011

On 2/7/11 9:42 AM, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> To combine licences, just aggregate them. There is no lattice of
> subsumption; no "more" or "less" restrictive ordering. It's simple: you
> must obey all of them.

In the event that my comments on the previous thread were a source of
confusion, I agree with the first and last sentences though the middle
one is a bit more ambiguous.

Lawyers can argue about whether individual licenses as written (i.e.,
MIT, BSD3, GPL,...) have any interesting preorder (i.e., other than
equality). But in practice distributors must adhere to sets of licenses,
and these sets have the obvious lattice structure: namely Malcolm's last
sentence. Again, whether this lattice has any interesting (i.e.,
non-free) equalities is best left up to lawyers.

--
Live well,
~wren