[Haskell-cafe] semantics

Conal Elliott conal at conal.net
Wed Feb 9 07:37:34 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 9:02 PM, <kevin at froglingo.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 07:55 pm,  Conal Elliott <conal at conal.net> wrote:
>
>> Here's my personal denotational answer to question 2: I think of a type as
>> denoting a collection of (mathematical) values. If an expression e has type
>> T, then the meaning (value) of e is a member of the collection denoted by T.
>> This simple principle, which is fundamental to how I think of functional
>> programming, has consequences in library design, which I've discussed at
>> http://conal.net/blog/posts/notions-of-purity-in-haskell/ .
>>
> When we consider a class of partial recursive functions as the type T, then
> what are the expressions (such as e in your statement above) for T?

There are many, including application of those functions and to those
functions (in a language with higher-order functions), as well as variables
& primitive constants. The grammar and type system mediates the legal
expressions.

>  It seems that the type definition missed operations. For example, if a and
> b are two variables declared as integers, then we would not know how to
> calculate a + b if the type integers didn't include the plus operator.

The original note didn't ask how to assign meanings to expressions, but
denotational semantics (DS) is a clear & simple methodology. Meanings are
defined compositionally. For instance, the meaning of "A + B" is a function
of the meanings of the expressions A and B. Typically, DS is described as
being functions on syntax, but syntax is just one data type, and I find it
very useful for giving semantics to data types, in the same compositional
style. For several examples, see
http://conal.net/papers/type-class-morphisms .

  - Conal