[Haskell-cafe] Unrecognized function symbols in .prof

Lee Pike leepike at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 08:12:14 CET 2011

Hi,

I am profiling a Haskell program using GHC, and after executing the
program with +RTS -p, I get a .prof file that lists the cost centers
of the program.  Some of the cost centers listed are for function
symbols that do not exist in the given module.  For example, I have in
my .prof file:

COST CENTRE              MODULE   %time %alloc
==_a2MT                        Foo           19.8    0.0
==_a2R8                         Foo           17.8    0.0
==_a2Bg                         Bar           13.7    0.0

It appears these are generated symbols; how do I find out what those
function symbols correspond to?  (In this case, my assumption is that
these symbols refer to instances of the Eq class, but I'm not sure.)

[I couldn't find anything about this in the GHC online documentation
or via Googling, but sorry if I missed it.]

Thanks,
Lee