[Haskell-cafe] forkIO on GHCI does not seem to spawn the thread in the background on some OSs

C K Kashyap ckkashyap at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 04:41:13 CET 2011

Hi,
I found that on windows and my ubuntu box, when I did this

ghci> t <- forkIO someAction

"someAction" started executing in the foreground - as in, the ghci prompt
did not come back (until I pressed Ctrl-C)

On my mac however, when I ran the same thing, the action started executing
in the background and ghci> prompt returned instantaneously.
How can I get the thread backgrounded explicitly?

Regards,
Kashyap