[Haskell-cafe] Byte Histogram

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 00:30:29 CET 2011

On 8 February 2011 09:57, John Lato <jwlato at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think the real problem we have with container classes has a lot more to do
> with what we would use them for.  That is, Haskell already has Monoid,
> Foldable and Traversable.  These three (especially Foldable) cover nearly
> everything OOP programmers would expect out of generic container operations.

That was what my rewrite was going to be using.  The problem, however,
is two-fold:

* Dealing with types of kind * vs kind * -> *

* Dealing with types of kind * -> * that have a restriction on the
type parameter (e.g. Set).

I was basing my approach on Ganesh's rmonad [1] library whilst taking
into account the Functor => Applicative => Monad hierarchy when
re-defining the classes, but the approach was very quickly becoming
unwieldy.

[1]: http://hackage.haskell.org/package/rmonad

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic