[Haskell-cafe] coding style vs. foreign interfaces

Donn Cave donn at avvanta.com
Mon Feb 7 04:10:18 CET 2011

I just noticed a handful of spelling errors, in a package that isn't
all that obscure.  Enums from a C interface -

data AlarmingNews =
   --  ALARM_STUFF_WENT_WRONG
   AlarmStufWentWrong | ...

(oops, should have been Stuff, not Stuf.)

Who can blame the guy, after all, because this renaming work is not
only kind of a mind-numbing and trivial job, it's quite gratuitous.

Of the people who are apt to be interested, a sizeable percentage
already will be familiar with ALARM_STUFF_WENT_WRONG, and as the
"nice" Haskell spelling offers no practical advantage at all, it's
purely a waste of their time to translate from one to the other.
Is screenflicker_frequency() going to be screenFlickerFrequency,
or screenflickerFrequency?  gah!

I know it's enshrined in many years of convention by now, but if
anyone might ever consider the matter again, my vote would be,
when adopting foreign interfaces essentially unchanged, that the
spellings also be preserved to whatever extent practicable.

thanks!
	Donn Cave