[Haskell-cafe] Byte Histogram

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 6 20:48:21 CET 2011

>> Random fact: Data.Map.insertWith' exists. Data.IntMap.insertWith' does *not*
>> exist.
>
> The containers library is a mess.

I'm inclined to agree.

In particular, I get strange looks from people in the OOP community when
I say I'm using a language that doesn't have any abstractions at all for
dealing polymorphically with containers. In general, it's almost
impossible to write a Haskell function that will work with a list, an
(immutable) array, a hash table or a map, polymorphically.

I guess it's the case that containers has been there so long now that
changing it would break everything. Still, I find myself hungry for
something better.

Than again, the Prelude itself leaves several things to be desired...