[Haskell-cafe] Byte Histogram

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 6 20:41:38 CET 2011

On 06/02/2011 09:13 AM, Roel van Dijk wrote:

> Haskell en Clean are very much alike.

 From what I could determine from a basic Clean introduction, Clean is
very *unlike* Haskell, having a far more verbose and low-level syntax.
(E.g., the compiler can't even determine whether a binding is recursive
or not for itself. You have to say that manually.) It seems a very
unecessarily complicated and messy language - which makes the name
rather ironic.

> You can even compile Haskell 98
> code with the latest (experimental) Clean compiler and having it
> interact with Clean code and vice-versa [2]. The main difference is
> Clean's use of uniqueness typing.

As I say, I thought the main difference is that Clean is strict (which
is why you can get good performance). Uniqueness typing is an
interesting idea, that looks like it might be useful for more than mere I/O.