[Haskell-cafe] MonadPeelIO instance for monad transformers on top of "forall"

Sebastian Fischer fischer at nii.ac.jp
Sat Feb 5 03:35:27 CET 2011

Hi Max,

data M a = M { unM :: forall m. MonadPeelIO m => Reader.ReaderT () m a }

> It seems "clear" that there should be a MonadPeelIO instance for M,
> but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

> Have you (or the big brains on Haskell-Cafe, who are CCed) come across
> this before? Is there an obvious solution I am missing?

I have not used monad-peel before so please ignore my comment if I am
missing something obvious. The documentation mentions that "Instances of
MonadPeelIO should be constructed via MonadTransPeel, using peelIO =
liftPeel peelIO". I think this would work at least in your simplified
example as ReaderT is an instance of MonadTransPeel. Maybe you can take the
same route with your actual transformer?

Sebastian