[Haskell-cafe] Byte Histogram

Jake McArthur jake.mcarthur at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 17:59:46 CET 2011

On 02/03/2011 03:10 PM, Andrew Coppin wrote:
> (Unless you're seriously going to suggest that GHC's native code
> generator is any match for the might of a half-decent C compiler...)

I don't know enough about the native code generator to make a claim like
that, but we're not comparing the native code generator against a C
compiler; we're comparing it against a C code generator whose output is
fed through a C compiler. These are very different things, and I think
it gives the native code generator an edge. My own observations from
immediately before the C backend was deprecated was that the native code
generator averaged slightly better performing code.

- Jake