[Haskell-cafe] Byte Histogram

Johan Tibell johan.tibell at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 08:30:12 CET 2011

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 12:38 AM, Erik de Castro Lopo
<mle+hs at mega-nerd.com> wrote:
> However, one of the Haskell projects I work on is Ben Lippmeier's
> DDC compiler. Thats about 50000 lines of Haskell code and finding
> performance issues there is really difficult.

Right. It can still be tricky. I think we can get rid of a large
number of strictness issues by using strict data structures more
often, this should help beginners in particular. For the rest better
tooling would help. For example, a lint tool that marked up code with
the strictness information inferred by the compiler would be useful. I
had time to write one I would make the output look like HPC html
reports, with one color for strict function arguments and one color
for lazy function arguments.

Johan