[Haskell-cafe] Problems with iteratees

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Fri Feb 4 02:38:50 CET 2011

On 2/3/11 7:19 PM, Brandon S Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> On 2/3/11 19:16 , Brandon S Allbery KF8NH wrote:
>> POSIX FIFOs and GHC's nonblocking file descriptors implementation don't play
>> well together; you should launch the writer end first and let it block
>
> More specifically, I think what's happening here is that a non-blocking
> open() of a FIFO returns with the fd not actually open yet, a situation
> which isn't expected, and a blocking open will block until the other side is
> opened.

When opening the Fd[1], the program does block until the other end is
opened by another process (verified via printf debugging). But I'll keep
that in mind while digging around. I was aware of semi-closed handles,
but not semi-open Fds.

[1] Via (System.Posix.IO.openFd file System.Posix.IO.ReadOnly Nothing
System.Posix.IO.defaultFileFlags). Unfortunately, if compiled under GHC
<= 6.12.1 with -threaded, then openFd will always throw an error about
the system call being interrupted by GHC's thread scheduling timer. This
bug is fixed in unix-2.4.1.0 which, IIRC, requires GHC-7. The problem is
that the earlier implementation of openFd uses throwErrnoPathIfMinus1,
instead of throwErrnoPathIfMinus1Retry (which does not exist in base <=
4.3.0.0). Cf.,

http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/glasgow-haskell-users/2009-December/018147.html

--
Live well,