[Haskell-cafe] [web-devel] http-enumerator: redirects, streaming and keep-alive

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 06:38:11 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 11:06 PM, Michael Snoyman <michael at snoyman.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 12:00 AM, Antoine Latter <aslatter at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Felipe Almeida Lessa
>> <felipe.lessa at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> And what about connection limits?  We shouldn't create a thousand
>>> connections to the same host =).
>>>

>> Not a bad idea, but that may be creeping outside the scope of the bug
>> as reported.
>>
>> If you're writing a web-scraper/spider, it is true you might need some
>> sort of higher-level manager to handle concurrent access. I'm not sure
>> what that would look like, though
>>
>>> --
>>> Felipe.
>>>

> I think Felipe's point is that using the approach I outlined, we will
> never spawn more than one connection to a single host. By simply
> taking the socket out of the map, there's no limit to the number of
> sockets that will be created.

Ah, then you would block one thread on another if the host info is in
the map? I get it.

Strictly one socket per host might be a tricky invariant to maintain -
you'd have to insert an empty socket MVar in the map on lookup
failure, and the shuffling of the nested MVars seems tricky off the
top of my head.

But even without all of that I don't think you'd be flooding the host
any more than without any keepalive support, which was what I was
getting at.

This is just speculation on my part - I don't have a stake in this, it
just sounded like an interesting problem. I'd hate to be steering this
into a design black hole.

Antoine