[Haskell-cafe] On the purity of Haskell

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at MIT.EDU
Thu Dec 29 14:39:45 CET 2011

Here's an alternative perspective to consider: consider some
data structure, such as a queue.  There are two ways you can
implement this, one the imperative way, with mutators, and the
other the purely functional way, with no destructive updates.

The question then, I ask, is how easy does a programming language
make it to write the data structure in the latter fashion?  How
easy is it for you to cheat?

Edward

Excerpts from Steve Horne's message of Wed Dec 28 12:39:52 -0500 2011: