[Haskell-cafe] Haskell Platform and Windows - where's 2011.4?

Steve Horne sh006d3592 at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Dec 27 19:13:29 CET 2011

On haskell.org, the 2011.4.0.0 version is shown as the current stable
release - but the most recent download link is for the 2011.2.0.0 version.

This is bugging me a little because the documentation in the 2011.2
Haskell Platform download for Windows is broken - there's at least one
bug report about this already. There's online documentation, but it's
(1) online, where I need something I can read on an old no-internet
laptop, and (2) I assume for the most recent version, and therefore it
potentially misleading.

I already fixed the "online" side - sorry, I know slurping a whole site
is evil but I had little choice. The fact that the docs relate to a
version of the platform that I can't access remains. I just have to hope
that the changes are few and won't affect me.

Extra annoying - there's no mention of why 2011.4 is missing from the
Windows download page - no "temporarily delayed" or "skipped due to an
awkward technical issue" or "not enough Windows developers
volunteering". For all I know, it could just be an oversight updating
haskell.org itself, but I think that's unlikely.

So... what's the situation with the Haskell Platform on Windows? - both
WRT my specific bit of whinging and whining, and in general?

Is Windows a low priority niche from the Haskell POV? If I intend to
take Haskell more seriously, do I need to make Linux or some other *nix
my primary OS?

Please say no - I've been an on-and-off Linux user for around 10 years,
with the most recent 2 years on ending around May this year. For all the
pros, the cons of endless graphics card driver issues, awkward
configuration hassles and so on have defeated me yet again.