[Haskell-cafe] strict, lazy, non-strict, eager

Murray Campbell murray at sonology.net
Sat Dec 24 09:47:28 CET 2011

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 08:54:43AM +0100, Yves Parès wrote:
>    See that's typically the speech that scares people away from Haskell...
>    --
>    The ⥠is a lie.
>
>    2011/12/24 Albert Y. C. Lai <[1]trebla at vex.net>
>
>> [ snip. ]

I find this sort of discussion is precisely what draws me to, and keeps me in
pursuit of Haskell.  There are many approaches to producing code that
are designed (to use a charitable term) to be minimally frightening at
the expense of rigour.  The dogged and uncompromising attitude of many
in the Haskell community is inspiring to me, knowing as I do that, while
I don't *need* to follow the more rarified flights of mathematical fancy
to get things done, the ecosystem in which I am choosing to work is
being built by those who can.

It's not as though the problem of writing good code has been solved.  It
appears to be quite hard!  Isn't Haskell the place where the difficult
and nit-picky questions ought to be raised and researched?

It's too late to avoid success at all costs but please don't banish our
precious pedantry!

Scare on!

Murray Campbell