[Haskell-cafe] If you'd design a Haskell-like language, what would you do different?

Anton Kholomiov anton.kholomiov at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 22:46:09 CET 2011

I'd like to make special syntax for folds, so that fold is built in
the type definition. Maybe it can be some special
braces or just fold(..). So we can write the same function in
place of foldr, maybe, either and so on and don't have to define
them by hand.

Inside special fold-braces one can write functions (separated with | as
inside of type declaration) that have apropriate types. Constructors define
the order of functions inside fold-braces.

Handful of examples:

data List a = Nil | Cons a (List a)

length :: List a -> List a
length = fold( 0 | const (+1) )

(++) :: List a -> List a -> List a
a ++ b = fold( b | Cons ) a

head :: List a -> a
head = fold( undefined | const )

data Maybe a = Nothing | Just a

fromJust :: Maybe a -> a
fromJust = fold (undefined | id)

data Nat = Zero | Succ Nat

add :: Nat -> Nat -> Nat
add a = fold (a | Succ)

mul :: Nat -> Nat -> Nat
mul a = fold (Zero | add a)

Maybe something similiar for unfolds but I have no syntax here.

----------

I'd like to invent some type-system that can allow me to say that
 (.), (>>>), (>=>)
are the same things just as
 id and pure

I'd like to have in place of Monad-class special case of Category class
We can express return and (>>=) with id and (.) in Monad's typing.

return = id
ma >>= mf = (mf . const ma) ()

where id and (.) are

class Kleisli m where
  id :: a -> m a

I'd like to parametrise it over m so Kleisli
can become a special case of Category.

And we ?can? define ($) in terms of id, (.), const and (),

($) :: Category cat => cat a b -> ?dom cat a?-> ?cod cat b?
f $ a = (f . const a) ()

so (=<<) becomes just ($)

Anton