[Haskell-cafe] Alternative versus Monoid

David Menendez dave at zednenem.com
Wed Dec 21 22:49:27 CET 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Bas van Dijk <v.dijk.bas at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 December 2011 16:26, Yves Parès <limestrael at gmail.com> wrote:
>> "1) What about the First type? Do we {-# DEPRECATE #-} it?"
>>
>> Personnaly, I'm in favor of following the same logic than Int:
>> Int itself is not a monoid. You have to be specific: it's either Sum or
>> Mult.
>>
>> It should be the same for Maybe: we remove its instance of Monoid, and we
>> only use First and Last.
>
> The reason you need to be specific with Int is that it's not clear
> which semantics (sum or product) you want. The semantics of Maybe are
> clear: it's failure-and-prioritized-choice.
>
> Changing the order of the arguments of mappend should be the job of Dual.
>
> If we really want to drop the Monoid instance for Maybe and keep First
> and Last and also want to be consistent we should also drop the Monoid
> instances of [a], a->b, Endo a and of all the tuples.

Interestingly, every one of these examples can been seen as an adaptor
from another class.

For [a], the monoid is (mzero,mplus).
For a -> b and the tuples, the monoid is (pure mempty, liftA2 mappend).
For Endo, the monoid is (id, (.))  (from Category)

The current monoid instances for [a], a -> a, and the tuples feel like
natural choices (in contrast to Maybe), but knowing which operations
are used requires some understanding of the design history of the
library. That's why I recommend only using mempty and mappend with
polymorphic code.

--
Dave Menendez <dave at zednenem.com>
<http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/>