[Haskell-cafe] [Alternative] change some/many semantics

David Menendez dave at zednenem.com
Wed Dec 21 19:32:34 CET 2011

On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 12:37 PM, wren ng thornton <wren at freegeek.org> wrote:
> On 12/19/11 10:20 PM, David Menendez wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 6:37 PM, wren ng thornton<wren at freegeek.org>
>>  wrote:

>>> Therein lies the issue. To put this in a monadic context, this is the
>>> same
>>> reason why we can't just say:
>>>
>>>    evalState (repeatM getNext) init
>>>
>>> e.g., to generate an infinite list of pseudorandom numbers and then
>>> discard
>>> the final seed because we have all the numbers we'll ever need.
>>

>> Sure you can. Just make sure you're using a non-strict state monad.
>

> Fair enough. I over-simplified the example I had in mind, which cannot be
> evaded so easily.
>
> Though it's worth pointing out that your solution relies on the specific
> property I mentioned (later in the same email), namely that it is safe to
> perform the evaluation of lazy state at any point we desire, because it will
> not interact with other side-effects[1]. Thus, this happens to be one of the
> monads which has the property necessary for being able to perform the
> reordering desired by the OP. However, if we try using your 'repeatM' for
> other monads it is unlikely to work--- and for the same reasons that 'many'
> and 'some' are problematic for Maybe and lists.

Yes, sequence . repeat is only sensible for non-strict monads, which
are fairly uncommon. (Identity, State, Reader, Writer, infinite
search, and various combinations thereof are the only ones I'm aware
of.) The situation is exactly analogous to many and some, which are
only meaningful for certain values in certain types, as well as to
functions like fix and folder, which can diverge if given
inappropriate arguments.

If there were a lot of code that was (1) meaningfully generic over
non-strict monads and (2) diverged for strict monads, it might make
sense to declare a subclass and restrict those functions to non-strict
monads. That won't stop someone from trying to call sequence on an
infinite list, but it does express an important precondition of the
code in the type.

--
Dave Menendez <dave at zednenem.com>
<http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/>