[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: partial-lens 0.0.1

roconnor at theorem.ca roconnor at theorem.ca
Wed Dec 21 16:39:41 CET 2011

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011, Erik Hesselink wrote:

> How does this relate to the Maybe lenses in fclabels [1]?
>
> Erik
>
> [1] http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/fclabels/1.0.4/doc/html/Data-Label-Maybe.html

It appears to be somewhere between similar and the same.

*** Comparison of API

Data.Label.Maybe.get corresponds to Data.Lens.Partial.getPL

Data.Label.Maybe.set roughly corresponds to Data.Lens.Partial.trySetPL
except that trySetPL will bail out early if the reference is null.  We can
match the signature of set more precisely by:

Data.Label.Maybe.set l v r ~ Data.Lens.Partial.trySetPL l r <*> pure v

Data.Label.Maybe.modify would correspond to Data.Lens.Partial.tryModPL if
I had implemented it ... which maybe I ought to.

Data.Label.Maybe.embed corresponds to a composition of totalLens and
maybeLens.  More specifically

Data.Label.Maybe.embed l ~ Data.Lens.Partial.maybeLens . Data.Lens.Partial.totalLens l

Data.Label.MaybeM.gets roughly corresponds to
Data.Lens.Partial.Lazy.accessPlus except that accessPlus is particular to
StateT because partial-lens is a Haskell 98 compliant package.  I need to
write partial-lens-fd which will contain a function precisely
corresponding to Data.Label.MaybeM.gets

I don't have Data.Label.MaybeM.asks, because there was no corresponding
functionality in data-lens.  We should probably add a version of this.

*** Comparison of representation

The usual differences between data-lens and fclabels applies to
partial-lens as well.  The representation for data-lens and
partial-lens allows modify to be done with one case analysis on a record
since the getter and setters are combined into one coalgebra whereas in
fclabels two case analysis must be done: one for the getter and one for
the setter.  When chains of lenses are composed, I'm told the differences
become more apparent.

In partial-lens, the combination of getter and setter into a single
coalgebraic operations means that the getter and setter are statically
forced to return Nothing on the same record; but this is not enforced with
the fclabels representation.

That said, perhaps the MaybeLens from fclabels is trying to do something
different.  I don't know what laws you expect to hold for the getter and
setters of a maybe lens since it isn't documented (actually I appear to
have also forgotten to document the coalgebra laws for a comonad in my
package) so perhaps MaybeLens are intended to be more general than partial
lenses.

For example maybe a user wants to make it illegal to set the birth date to
be greater than the death date in a record.  In this case getting the
birth date will succeed, but setting will fail if the provided birth date
out of bounds.  This is possible to write using MaybeLens, but is
impossible with partial lenses since with partial-lenses either the
reference is null, meaning getting and setting both fail, or it is not
null which means that getting and setting both succeed.