[Haskell-cafe] If you'd design a Haskell-like language, what would you do different?

Alexander Solla alex.solla at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 04:10:32 CET 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Robert Clausecker <fuzxxl at gmail.com>wrote:

> Image you would create your own language with a paradigm similar to
> Haskell or have to chance to change Haskell without the need to keep any
> compatibility. What stuff would you add to your language, what stuff
> would you remove and what problems would you solve completely different?
>
> Thanks in advance for all answers, yours

* Lenses as the default record infrastructure.  (Maybe...)
* Better organization of numeric (and algebraic/categorical) type classes
in the Prelude.
* Documentation that discourages thinking about bottom as a 'value'.  It's
not a value, and that is what defines it.
* Getting rid of the Functor/Monad nonsense.  (Every monad is in fact a
functor, but we can't use fmap on arbitrary monads in Haskell)
* The inclusion of something like Djinn to automatically generate free
theorems from types.  It would be nice if GHCi included an interactive
Djinn-like interface to generate alternative non-free functions for a type.
* An API to make automating REPL and text editor interactions
straight-forward.  (For example, if we were to use the hypothetical
Djinn-like feature, we could select the implementation we want from a list
and have it pasted into our text editor of choice automatically)