[Haskell-cafe] What happens if you get hit by a bus?

Brian Hurt bhurt at spnz.org
Fri Dec 16 17:17:20 CET 2011

I think the "truck-factor" implications of the programming language as
dwarfed by the implications of everything else in the project.  Any project
of any significant size is going to have a huge amount of project-specific
information tucked up inside the programmers head.  It doesn't matter if
there are a million other programmers who know the language you used, or
only a dozen- if you're the only one who knows how things were done, and
more importantly, why they were done that way, and you get hit by a truck,
then your boss has a big problem.  Whether there are millions of candidate
replacement programmers, or only dozens, none of them had the
project-specific knowledge you had.  Finding a replacement who knows the
language is the least of his problems.