[Haskell-cafe] [Haskell] Proposal to incorporate Haskell.org

Ganesh Sittampalam ganesh at earth.li
Fri Dec 16 14:36:25 CET 2011

On 16/12/2011 13:21, Thomas Schilling wrote:
> On 16 December 2011 11:10, Ganesh Sittampalam <ganesh at earth.li> wrote:
>> On 16/12/2011 10:59, Giovanni Tirloni wrote:

>>> Would it be a too ambitious goal to create the "Haskell Foundation" at
>>> this moment?
>>
>> It would be a lot of administrative effort - managing accounts, tax
>> filings, etc. While it would give us more control, I don't think the
>> benefits would be very significant.
>>
>> So in my view for now it's best not to go it alone.
>
> I agree.  If at some point we feel that having a Haskell Foundation
> would be desirable (despite the additional overheads) there shouldn't
> be anything stopping us from doing so.  Are there any drawbacks in
> joining such an organisation?  How do they finance their overheads?
> Would a donation to haskell.org include a fee to SPI?  I couldn't find
> any information on their website.

Yes - 5% goes to SPI to cover their overheads. It's detailed in
http://www.spi-inc.org/projects/associated-project-howto/ but not on
their donations page at http://www.spi-inc.org/donations/.

5% seems reasonable to me and in line with what similar "donation
aggregators" charge, for example the Charities Aid Foundation in the UK
charges 4%:
https://www.cafonline.org/my-personal-giving/plan-your-giving/individual-charity-account.aspx

In effect we've been getting the admin for free from Galois up till now,
but it's been getting too troublesome for them.

Cheers,

Ganesh