[Haskell-cafe] Alternative versus Monoid

Conor McBride conor at strictlypositive.org
Thu Dec 15 22:05:13 CET 2011

On 15 Dec 2011, at 15:19, Brent Yorgey wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 06:49:13PM +1000, Gregory Crosswhite wrote:
>>
>> So at the end of the day... what is the point of even making Maybe
>> and [] instances of Alternative?
>
> The Alternative and Monoid instances for [] are equivalent.  However,
> the Alternative and Monoid instances for Maybe are not. To wit:
>
>> (Just (Sum  4)) <|> (Just (Sum 3))
>  Just (Sum {getSum = 4})
>
>> (Just (Sum 4)) `mappend` (Just (Sum 3))
>  Just (Sum {getSum = 7})

The current monoid instance for Maybe is, in my view, unfortunate.

Types are about semantic purpose, not just data representation.
Many purposes can be represented in the same way. We should identify
the purpose of a type (or type constructor), then define instances
consistent with that purpose. And better, we acquire by instance
inference compound instances consistent with that purpose! (A similar
view is often articulated well by Conal Elliott. But perhaps it's
just a "Con" thing.)

The purpose of Maybe, it seems to me, is to model failure and
prioritized choice, after the manner of exceptions. It's clear
what the failure-and-prioritized-choice monoid is.

It so happens that the same data representation can be used to make
a semigroup into a monoid by attaching an identity element. That's
a different semantic purpose, which deserves a different type.

This really bites. I really like being able to write things like

   newtype P a x = P ([a] -> Maybe (x, [a])) deriving Monoid

and then make MonadPlus/Alternative instances just by copying the
monoid that results, but it doesn't work!

It's unfortunate that we don't have local quantification in
constraints, so we can't write (forall x. Monoid (f x)), hence the
need for constructor classes doing basically the same job, with,
of necessity, newly renamed members. I think it compounds the
problem to choose inconsistent behaviour between the constructor
class and the underlying type class.

Maybe I'm an extremist, but I'd prefer it if every Alternative
instance was constructed by duplicating a polymorphic Monoid
instance.

Meanwhile, as for the issue which kicked this off, I do think it's
good to document and enforce meaningful (i.e. total on total input)
usages of operations by types where practical. At present, refining
one type class into several to account for subtle issues (like
whether some/many actually work) is expensive, even if it's
desirable. I'd once again plug default superclass instances and
Control.Newtype, then suggest that the library might benefit from a
little pruning.

All the best

Conor