[Haskell-cafe] indentation blues

Paul Koerbitz paul.koerbitz at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 11:02:45 CET 2011

Hello,

TL;DR: If you have some time try emacs, the viper / vimpulse plugins are
pretty good and the editor is awesome in general. Haskell indentation is
good.

I was a hardcore vim user and switched to emacs because the REPL for
clojure was just aweful in vim. I am using the vi keybindings (viper-mode)
and in addition vimpulse (which adds vim-like bindings on top of viper). It
isn't a perfect vim emulation, but I would say it is good enough. All the
keystrokes I use frequently work. The biggest frustration is that the
viper-mode is not automatically turned on in many modes (check out
viper-in-more-modes for that). I find the combination of emacs commands for
the lesser used commands with vim keybings for text editing incredibly
powerful.

Apart from the keybind issues, emacs is a really awesome editor! I mean you
will spend time at first learning and customizing it, but I wish I would
have started sooner! There are a lot of features that are a huge leg up
compared to vim (I love how 'files open' is distinct from 'file(s)
currently shown in buffer(s)' for example) and if you want something it is
probably out there.

cheers
Paul