[Haskell-cafe] How did iteratees get their names?

Henrik Nilsson nhn at Cs.Nott.AC.UK
Wed Dec 7 17:14:08 CET 2011

Hi Ertugrul,

 > Coroutines actually capture this kind of composition (where some code
 > interrupts itself to hand control over to some other code) very well.
 > Perhaps it would be better to use terms from that abstraction instead.
 > In fact, iteratees are a special case of coroutines.

That would seem to make sense, if there is appropriate terminology.

And if we are indeed talking about co-routines, i.e. cooperation
between peers, routines of equal status, that would in itself suggest
that the X-or and X-ee names that imply an asymmetric relationship
are somewhat unfortunate choices conveying the wrong intuition.

Best,

/Henrik

--
Henrik Nilsson