[Haskell-cafe] terminateProcess leaves zombie processes around

Dan Rosén danr at student.gu.se
Wed Dec 7 12:47:21 CET 2011

Hi Haskell-Cafe,

I'm using Haskell to run a lot of instances of an Automated Thorem Prover,
eprover. I have pasted a smaller version of my program at
http://hpaste.org/54954. It runs eprover sequentially on all input files,
with a timeout of 100ms. Unfortunately, it leaves a lot of zombie processes
around, probably due to the fact that terminateProcess fails to terminate
them, even though eprover terminates on SIGTERM.

I have tried to use System.Timeout.timeout around readProcess, but without
surprise it did not work. Another way of doing it is to use the timeout
from gnu-coreutils, but the timeout resolution is in seconds (same with
eprover's flag --cpu-limit). Any ideas how I could write my code to get a
clean termination of this process?

Best,
Dan Rosén