[Haskell-cafe] Haddock and the qualified imports

Evan Laforge qdunkan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 20:59:57 CET 2011

On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 11:51 AM, David Waern <david.waern at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2011/12/6 Evan Laforge <qdunkan at gmail.com>:
>> I've also often wished that unimported but fully qualified modules
>> like 'Data.List.partition' would link even if Data.List is not
>> imported.  I suppose similarly to the way that ""s "blind link"
>> without having to know about the module in question.
>
> That's just been fixed - it's just been a long standing bug.

Whoohoo, good to hear!  I've always written those links in my docs,
under the hope that they would some day start working :)

>> And speaking of ""s, I've always wondered why double quotes were
>> needed for module names, and why single quotes around capitalized
>> words isn't sufficient.
>
> That would refer to a type or data constructor!

Well, it could look at the filesystem and tell them apart, right?  I
suppose you're right, it's ambiguous if there's both Data.hs:data List
= ... and Data/List.hs.

I guess what really trips me up is that ""s "blink link" feature means
it will try to turn all sorts of improbably things into module links.
It might be enough to check for Camel.Dots.Words to reduce the amount
of manual " quoting you have to do.