[Haskell-cafe] Where threadSleep is defined?

Paul R paul.r.ml at gmail.com
Tue Dec 6 18:07:47 CET 2011

dokondr> Hi, I need to make the current process (executing thread) go to
dokondr> sleep for a given amount of time.  Can't find where threadSleep
dokondr> is defined.

Maybe because there is no such threadSleep function in base packages,
what do you think ?

Ok, let's see if we can find what you are looking for ... You want
a function that will pause your thread for an amout of time then pass.
In other word, it would take an Int and do nothing else than wait as
a side effect, right ? Something typed "Int -> IO ()" should do that,
right ?

  http://www.haskell.org/hoogle/?hoogle=Int+-%3E+IO+%28%29

  => threadDelay :: Int -> IO ()
     Suspends the current thread for a given number of microseconds ...

And if you don't want to use the amazing power of hoogle, maybe you can
simply go to your favorite search engine and type "haskell pause thread"
in it. In mine, the first result is the doc of the Control.Concurrent
module that has a "Waiting" section (linked in the toc) that has ...
3 functions, amongst wich "threadDelay :: Int -> IO ()".

Wasn't hard, was it ?

--
  Paul