[Haskell-cafe] Using QuickCheck to test against a database

Oliver Charles haskell-cafe at ocharles.org.uk
Fri Dec 2 01:02:48 CET 2011

Hi!

I've just spent my evening trying to use QuickCheck properties to test
the database accessing functions in a project I'm working on at the
moment. I've got some stuff that's working, and I wanted to see what the
cafe thought about it, and if anyone had any suggestions or critiscm
that can help me make it even better!

I got here by trying to figure out how I want to test my application. At
first I saw 2 options: use a test database and assume it exists, or have
each test setup the data it needs. I like the latter more, because it
minimises dependence on the outside world. So I got down to writing some
HUnit tests and then had a wave of inspiration... what if I didn't even
define the data, but let QuickCheck do that for me?

Here's what I came up with - note the code here is somewhat paraphrased
for brevity:

  data DBState a = DBState { initDb :: IO ()
                           , entity :: a
                           }

This type stores an action that initialises the database with enough
data such that it contains whatever 'entity' is. For example,
'DBState Person' knows how to insert a specific person into the
database, and carries along an in-memory log.

Continuing with the Person idea, I then went and made an Arbitrary
instance for DBState Person:

  instance Arbitrary (DBState Person) where
    arbitrary = do
      l <- Person <$> arbitrary `suchThat` (not . null)
      return $ DBState (void $ insertPerson l) p
      where insertPerson p =
              doSql "INSERT INTO person (name) VALUES (?)"
                    [ personName p l ]

Then it's just a case of defining some properties:

  prop_allPersons = monadicIO $ do
    dbState <- pick arbitrary :: Gen [Person]
    fetched <- run $ initDb `mapM` dbState >> findAllPersons
    assert $ fetched `eqSet` (entity `map` dbState)
    where eqSet a b = all (`elem` a) b && all (`elem` b) a

Voila! For any database, 'findAllPersons' returns all
persons. Now... onto my own critiscisms with this.

Firstly, way too much boiler plate. You have to remember to apply all of
the states of your arbitrary instances, which is a pain, and guaranteed
to be missed. At first I thought DBState looks like it's basically a
writer/IO monad, but then I couldn't actually figure out the monoid to
write to. In this case it's just [Person], but in more complex property
we might need 2 types of entities (for example, to ensure a join worked
correctly) which makes this list heterogenous.

Secondly, the initDb action is sensitive to the order actions are
sequenced. Presumably, I want to test against a database that's as
accurate to production as possible, which means I want foreign keys
enabled. If things are initialized in the wrong order, it violates the
foreign key constraint, and it's a burden if people have to determine
the correct order. One solution here is to make use of deferrable
constraints, but support for these is flakey at best (and it doesn't
work for bracketting tests with BEGIN; ROLLBACK).

These problems just make the properties harder, but they don't seem to
impede the quality or usefulness of the tests. I really want to make
this work, because the idea of it is quite beautiful to me. Though that
might be partly because this is my first time really using QuickCheck,
so I'm getting the "oh wow this is sweeeet" effect at the same time ;)

Would love to hear peoples thoughts!
- Ollie