[Haskell-cafe] How to get a file path to the program invoked?

Alexey Khudyakov alexey.skladnoy at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 21:30:41 CET 2011

On 01.12.2011 23:47, dokondr wrote:
> To be precise, $0 always contains the path to the program called. You
> are right, this path will change depending on location from which the
> program was called. So $0 is OK for my case, while current directory  is
> unrelated.

Actually it contains whatever was passed to exec. By convention this is
program name but it could be anything

#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>

int main(int argc, char** argv)
{
     if( argc != 1 ) {
         printf("%i: %s\n", argc, argv[0] );
     } else {
         execl("./argv","Random junk","",0);
     }
     return 0;
}

$ gcc argv.c -o argv && ./argv
2: Random junk

> Try this:
>
> #!/bin/sh
> echo "Arg 0: $0"
> echo "All Parameters:  [$@]"
>
> Again, any way to get the same functionality in GHC?

getArgs and getProgName should do the trick

http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/base/latest/doc/html/System-Environment.html