[Haskell-cafe] Off-topic: Mathematics and modesty

Jerzy Karczmarczuk jerzy.karczmarczuk at unicaen.fr
Tue Aug 30 20:58:08 CEST 2011

Andrew Coppin :
> I haven't yet found anywhere where I can say "when would a chi-squared
> test be more appropriate than a KS test?" and get an informed,
> knowledgeable answer. (Answers from people who /know/ what they're
> talking about rather than just /think/ they know.)

With all my respect:
I think I know several mathematicians who learning that a person asking
for help begins with trying to distinguish  between knowledgeable, and
those who just think they are, will simply - to say it politely - refuse
to engage.
(There might be some impolite answers as well, but you don't need the
details).

Jerzy Karczmarczuk