[Haskell-cafe] GHC API question

Christiaan Baaij christiaan.baaij at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 09:14:17 CEST 2011

Hi,

> This is what I've was referring to in my previous mail. Even though
> you're compiling to machine code, you are using the in-memory linker
> (i.e., the GHCi linker).  It seems like that this is a fundamental
> limitation of the internal linker. You may be using it in a way that
> doesn't trigger the sanity check and end up causing a panic.

I had similar problems when trying to profile an executable that was
using certain parts of the GHC API [1]. If you are using parts of
the GHC API that are related to the GHCi profiling API bug [2],
then you will get errors/segfaults. AFAIK, a better error message
was never implemented for GHC API users, only for building GHCi in
profiling mode.

-- Christiaan Baaij

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/3285
[2] http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/2197