[Haskell-cafe] bitSize

Richard O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Tue Aug 30 03:30:49 CEST 2011

On 29/08/2011, at 10:32 PM, Maciej Marcin Piechotka wrote:

> According to random side (http://gruntthepeon.free.fr/ssemath/) not so
> new computers can compute 15.5 milions of serial logarithms per second
> (62 millions in total). I'd say that overhead of Integer might be much
> bigger then cost of logarithm.

That's floating-point logarithms, not Integer logarithms.
Single-precision floats, at that.

The code in question does not link at optimisation level 4.
At least some of the benchmark results are impossible to believe:
    benching          cephes_sinf ..
    -> 12762.3 millions of vector evaluations/second
    ->   0 cycles/value on a 2000MHz computer