[Haskell-cafe] Truly Really Off-topic: (Was: Mathematics)

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 19:35:01 CEST 2011

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Gwern Branwen <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> As well, in no Google hit did I find any specific citation to
> Dijkstra. Hence, I conclude that because it is insightful and sounds
> like Dijkstra (eg. his submarine quote), it has become apocryphally
> associated with him but is *not* actually a Dijkstra quote.

To follow up:

- 'telescopes' does not appear anywhere in the EWDs:
- Ruud Koot points to an August* 1993 PhD thesis
which attributes it, with no citation or sourcing information, to
- a Redditor claims, with no citation or sourcing information, that it
was Marvin Minsky

* that is, well after the original January 1993 article