[Haskell-cafe] bitSize

Steve Schafer steve at fenestra.com
Mon Aug 29 16:11:31 CEST 2011

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 08:40:45 +0100, you wrote:

>If you're doing, say, cryptography, then thousand-bit random integers
>that need to be serialised are fairly common...

This is the part that makes no sense to me. Yes, you are absolutely
correct that large, multiple-byte integers play a big role in
cryptography. But those are invariably FIXED LENGTH multiple-byte
integers. As I mentioned before, to the best of my knowledge, no one
uses variable-size representations in those kinds of
computationally-intensive applications.

-Steve Schafer