[Haskell-cafe] GHC API question

Chris Smith cdsmith at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 06:57:43 CEST 2011

I'm using the GHC API in GHC 7.2, and running into some problems.  For
background, I have working code that uses compileExpr to get a value
from a dynamically loaded module.  However, I'd like to do some
profiling, and it appears that compileExpr doesn't work from executables
that are built with profiling.

So instead, I tried to take a more circuitous route... I'm using
getModuleInfo and modInfoTyThings to get a list of all the declarations
in the module, and finding the one I want, which I call var.  This all
works fine, and I can print the type and the name, and I know I have the
right thing and it's got the correct type.  But then I do:

    session <- getSession
    v <- liftIO $ getHValue session var
    return (unsafeCoerce# v)

and I get a segfault when I try to access the resulting value.  Keep in
mind that this is the same value that works fine when I access it with
compileExpr on an expression I've constructed to retrieve it.

Any ideas what's going on?  Am I missing a step?

--
Chris Smith