[Haskell-cafe] hledger subcommand detection, RFC

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Fri Aug 26 02:52:29 CEST 2011

Hi Simon,

good stuff! this is the same approach that eg. git uses, it seems to
be quite flexible.

I did a similar thing for a C project called oggz a while back:

http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/ogg-dev/2008-August/001110.html

some other useful things you could add:

  * a "help" subcommand built-in to the hledger wrapper, which
basically translates eg "hledger help report" into "man
hledger-report" or "hledger-report --help" (depending on availability,
platform etc.)

  * an option to all commands that lists out all its available
options, to aid with shell completion. See the link I posted above
about the oggz tools for an example usage and a link to a bash
completion file.

I wrapped up some manpage generation code in a package called
ui-command, which is kind of orthogonal to cmdargs (ui-command just
deals with subcommands). Example commands are often useful, so I added
those, with validity checking, to hogg (a Haskell version of oggz).
Some related posts:

http://blog.kfish.org/2008/03/release-hogg-040.html
http://blog.kfish.org/2008/12/release-hogg-041.html

cheers,