[Haskell-cafe] (Repa) hFlush: illegal operation

Ben Lippmeier benl at ouroborus.net
Thu Aug 25 03:44:54 CEST 2011

On 25/08/2011, at 7:15 , Michael Orlitzky wrote:

> I'm using Repa to process a ton of MRI data. The basic process is,
>
>  * Read in the data
>  * Create a big 'ol data structure (grid) from it
>  * Compute the output in parallel using 'traverse'
>  * Write the output to file
>
> However, during the last step, I'm getting,
>
>  $ ./bin/spline3 +RTS -N4
>  spline3: output.txt: hFlush: illegal operation (handle is closed)

>> read_values_1d :: FilePath -> IO Values1D
>> read_values_1d path = readVectorFromTextFile path

The implementation of the text IO functions is fairly naive, just using Haskell Strings etc under the covers. It may have problems with massive files.

Can you send me some gzipped data of the same size/form as what you're using, or tell me where to download it? Even if your real source data is several GB in size, if you make a test file with mostly zeros it should gzip down to nothing.

Also, what is the native form of the data you are using? If it's in some standard binary form it may just be easier to write a native Repa loader for it.

Cheers,
Ben.