[Haskell-cafe] a minor bug (memory leak) in ListLike package

John Lato jwlato at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 02:25:04 CEST 2011

Thanks for reporting this.  I understand the problem, however I don't
want to bloat the interface even more with a bunch of strict versions
of functions.  Even so, the current implementation is definitely the
worst possible option as it has the slow performance of building
thunks without the actual benefits of laziness.

`Data.List` currently uses a fully lazy implementation, with RULEs to
specialize to a strict variant for Int and Integer accumulators.  The
same solution should work for ListLike, with the following additions:

1.  `length` be made fully strict in the accumulator
2.  `genericLength'` (strict variant) be exposed via the interface

Currently I know of no way to automatically derive listlike-instances,
however the `listlike-instances` package has instances for a few other
useful types (vectors and Text mainly).  Adding instances is
definitely a pain, so I may well try to create a Derive extension for
the next time I want to do so.

Cheers,
John