[Haskell-cafe] Why no Monoid, Num, Integral, or Floating RVarT instances?

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 04:55:39 CEST 2011

On 23 August 2011 12:17, Barend Venter <barendventer at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems like you should be able to get instances for:
>
> (Monoid m) => Monoid (RVarT n m)
> (Num m) => Num (RVarT n m)
>
> and so forth for integral and floating

If you're referring to RVarT from random-fu, why not ask the
maintainer rather than all of -cafe?
http://hackage.haskell.org/package/random-fu-0.1.0.0

> Just wondering if I am missing something here or if there is any
> particular thing I'm missing. I am aware you would probably not be
> able to do an Eq or Show instance but me understanding was that in the
> case of the (Num b) => Num (a -> b) instance the solution was simply
> to leave those things undefined.

Well, yes, but where is the Num instance for (a -> b) defined? Not in
the Prelude it isn't, presumably because of this lack of Eq and Show
instances: http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/base/Prelude.html#t:Num

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com