[Haskell-cafe] Embedding Perl RegEx in Haskell

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 08:23:30 CEST 2011

By the way, if what you're actually looking for on a high level is a
Haskell-like string matching engine, it might be better to go back to the
original sources.  Look up Kleene's work on string pattern matching; while
regexes derive from it, its more direct descendants are the pattern matching
mechanisms in SNOBOL and Icon.  I've thought for a while that the right way
to do it in Haskell is not parsing a program encoded as a string/regex, but
instead a monadic "Kleene machine"; but I've never managed to work out a
decent functional implementation (too many irons in the fire, not enough
spoons to even keep track of them much less do something useful with them).