[Haskell-cafe] why is Random in System?

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Wed Aug 17 18:29:13 CEST 2011

On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 8:56 AM, Ryan Newton <rrnewton at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm the maintainer of random.  If people could decide on what the
> alternative name would be we could put it through the library proposal
> process.  It seems that one problem at this moment is the lack of a single,
> clear "right" answer.  Replacing one debatable not-quite-right choice with
> another may not be satisfying ;-).

The entire premise of that discussion seems quite ridiculous. All that
renaming the modules will achieve is the breakage of several hundred
packages. The roots of the module naming hierarchy - Control, Data, System,
and so on - are so muddled and inconsistently used that the best advice you
could give to people who raise this topic is to pretend those roots are
simply not there.

My proposal for this has been to use AES based crypto-prng.

We'd be better off if you could seek consensus from PRNG maintainers on a
fixed-up Random class before attacking this problem, so that we'd have a
better chance of achieving cross-package compatibility.