[Haskell-cafe] why is Random in System?

Ryan Newton rrnewton at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 17:56:36 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I'm the maintainer of random.  If people could decide on what the
alternative name would be we could put it through the library proposal
process.  It seems that one problem at this moment is the lack of a single,
clear "right" answer.  Replacing one debatable not-quite-right choice with
another may not be satisfying ;-).

Also, what Thomas says is right.  The current implementation is SLOW and
WEAK, which would not seem to make a good default implementation.  The goal
is to replace it with something better so that the default random package is
strong in at least one dimension.  I think this is important because I
imagine many people use the default package, for example because they don't
want to scour hackage and try all the alternatives.

My proposal for this has been to use AES based crypto-prng.  I think that is
fast enough (i.e. faster than what's currently there), very strong, and
splittable.  New Intel and AMD hardware has hardware support for AES which
makes it even faster.  The intel-aes package provides this functionality,
with and without hardware support.  But there's work left to do in terms of
testing, making sure its cross platform, etc.  Anyone who's interested in
helping (especially with Windows support) would be warmly welcomed!

Cheers,
  -Ryan