[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: taffybar: an alternative status bar for xmonad

Vincent Hanquez tab at snarc.org
Mon Aug 15 08:55:44 CEST 2011

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 10:56:49AM -0500, Tristan Ravitch wrote:
> I've wanted a slightly fancier status bar than xmobar for a while, so
> I finally made one.  It uses gtk2hs and dbus extensively, so if you
> hate either of those things it probably isn't for you.  Being written
> in gtk, though, it can have more graphical widgets.
>
>   http://hackage.haskell.org/package/taffybar

Hi Tristan,

Thanks for this new status bar, this is exactly what i've been looking for
xmonad !

A word of warning though, it seems to wakeup a bit too much (and do too much work
at wakeup) with the example configuration and make a laptop great for winter
as a hand warmer :-)

I ended up with just the clock widget (setup to update every minute instead of
every second), the system tray, and the logwidget, and the wakeup rate is
completely acceptable, and the cpu time stays low.

--
Vincent