[Haskell-cafe] fyi GHC 7.2.1 release on the benchmarks game

Chris Smith cdsmith at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 21:00:48 CEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-08-12 at 11:44 -0500, austin seipp wrote:
> > 2) I noticed `-fvia-C` has now gone away [...]
>
> I can't forsee the potential performance ramifications, but frankly
> -fvia-C has been deprecated/not-advised-for-use for quite a while now,
> and I wonder how many of these programs just have not been
> updated/tested with the native code generator since they were written.
>
> In any case it's not an option anymore, so your only choice is to nuke
> it from orbit (orbit being the Makefiles.)

Well, the better option would be to try with the NCG, and also with LLVM
(the -fllvm flag).  While the NCG is certainly competitive for idiomatic
Haskell code, it's likely to be a bit behind when it comes to heavy
C-in-Haskell code like what often gets submitted to the shootout.  LLVM
seems likely to do better in some cases.

--
Chris