[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: Chell: A quiet test runner (low-output alternative to test-framework)

trystan.s at comcast.net trystan.s at comcast.net
Thu Aug 11 21:47:07 CEST 2011

As Greg pointed out, HSpec does have an option to output just the failed tests. I looked at the example on the Chell project home page and converted the example tests into these hspec style specs:

> import Test.Hspec (Specs, descriptions, describe, it)
> import Test.Hspec.Runner (hHspecWithFormat)
> import Test.Hspec.Formatters (failed_examples)
> import Test.Hspec.HUnit
> import Test.HUnit
> import System.IO (stdout)
>
> -- some functions to test
> equal = (==)
> greater = (>)
> equalWithin = undefined
> equalLines = (==)
>
> specs :: IO Specs
> specs = descriptions [
>     describe "number comparison module" [
>         it "can check for equality"
>             (assertBool "1 should equal 1" $ equal 1 1),
>         it "can compare order"
>             (assertBool "2 should be greater than 1" $ greater 2 1),
>         it "can compare eqauality with floating point numbers"
>             (assertBool "1.0001 should be close enough to 1.0" $ equalWithin 1.0001 1.0 0.01)
>     ],
>     describe "text comparison module" [
>         it "can compare strings for equality"
>             (let str1 = "foo\nbar\nbaz" :: String
>                  str2 = "foo\nbar\nqux" :: String
>              in assertBool "foo\\nbar\\nbaz shouldn't equal foo\\nbar\\nqux" $ equalLines str1 str2)
>     ]]
>
> main = hHspecWithFormat (failed_examples True) stdout specs

And when run, got the following output in red text since it's only reporting failures:

]  x can compare eqauality with floating point numbers FAILED [1]
]  x can compare strings for equality FAILED [2]
]
] 1) number comparison module can compare eqauality with floating point numbers FAILED
] Prelude.undefined
]
] 2) text comparison module can compare strings for equality FAILED
] foo\nbar\nbaz shouldn't equal foo\nbar\nqux
]
] Finished in 0.0000 seconds
]
] 4 examples, 2 failures

You can write provide your own formatter if that's not what you'd like to see. You also don't have to use the HUnit assertion text either; you could use the following function to make your specs even more like your Chell example, at the cost of losing the extra output description:

> assert = assertBool ""

Hspec uses HUnit TestCases and assertions but also supports QuickCheck properties almost exactly the same way Chell does. The hspec project homepage (https://github.com/trystan/hspec) has more examples, including the specs for hspec itself.

Trystan Spangler